School Safety Policy
Dunearn Secondary School is committed to ensuring the safety and security of all students and staff.
We seek to achieve this by
- ensuring that no activity takes priority over student and staff safety;
- establishing and maintaining a safe and conducive environment for all students and staff;
- planning, implementing, monitoring and reviewing systems and protocols to ensure student and staff safety;
- training and educating staff, students and stakeholders on their responsibilities with regards to safety;
- being prepared to respond appropriately to emergency situations; and
- promoting continuous learning and improvement with respect to school safety.
Safety Vision, Mission and Values
The school relies on all staff, students and stakeholders to practise the school safety values of responsibility and teamwork to achieve a safe and conducive school environment so the school can continue to strive towards excellence in school safety.
The school implements a safety framework that focuses on Protocols, People, Premises and Preparedness.
Key Safety Practices
Building and Environment
- The school building and environment are checked by school staff during regular walkabouts.
- The school has a fault, defect and hazard reporting system.
- There are strategically located CCTVs around the school.
- There is timely and regular maintenance of school equipment and facilities.
- Pest control checks are conducted regularly.
- The school has a lightning warning system.
- Security officers control traffic at the zebra crossing at the main gate during peak hours.
- There are traffic signs, road markings and good lighting to ensure the safety of pedestrians in the school compound.
PE & CCA
- All sports CCAs observe Sports Safety.
- Guidelines for PE and CCA in the School Safety Handbook are followed.
- PE and Sports CCA teachers are trained in First Aid. Professional coaches and instructors are accredited.
- The school keeps record of students’ medical declarations.
- During PE and sports training, students are briefed on how to look after themselves and their fellow students. Precautions are taken against lightning risk, heat injury and dehydration.
- Sports facilities and equipment are checked and maintained.
- Safety briefings are conducted before any outdoor physical activity.
- Proper Risk Assessment is completed before all activities.
Special Rooms: Science Laboratories, Design & Technology Workshops and Home Economics Kitchens
- Students are not permitted to use the Special Rooms without a teacher present.
- Safety rules and regulations are communicated to all staff and students involved in practical lessons.
- Students are given clear instructions before and are closely supervised by staff during practical lessons.
- Only staff members handle dangerous equipment and procedures.
- There are procedures in place to ensure the proper disposal of all wastes.
- The Special Rooms are equipped with fire extinguishers which are checked yearly.
- Special rooms are equipped with a First Aid box with basic first aid items.